Author Topic: 2014 World Cup  (Read 103598 times)

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
Re: 2014 World Cup
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
Though it's tough for me to get into the world cuo, I want to see the U.S do well just to pee off some Englishmen and other Europeans who have explicitly told me that they always root against the U.S because the last thing they want is to see us dominate soccer. What would make it even worse is that no one in the U.S will give a excrement either.

If that would pee off the Europeans, then sign me the freak up.

US will never dominate soccer, but they have the ability to knock off some strong countries and create a bunch of butthurt.

With that said, they also have the ability to lose to excrement countries for no reason. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:37 AM »
Though it's tough for me to get into the world cuo, I want to see the U.S do well just to pee off some Englishmen and other Europeans who have explicitly told me that they always root against the U.S because the last thing they want is to see us dominate soccer. What would make it even worse is that no one in the U.S will give a excrement either.

If that would pee off the Europeans, then sign me the freak up.

I don't understand why Europeans wouldn't want the US to do OK. I have a far bigger problem (in footballing terms) with a lot of other countries, because we have history with them (for example freak Argentina and freak Germany, always). Sounds like people just trying to wind you up Tommy. Maybe you made them hate the US. Tell them that not all Americans are like you and maybe they'll be a bit more chilled about it.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:22 PM »
I don't understand why Europeans wouldn't want the US to do OK. I have a far bigger problem (in footballing terms) with a lot of other countries, because we have history with them (for example freak Argentina and freak Germany, always). Sounds like people just trying to wind you up Tommy. Maybe you made them hate the US. Tell them that not all Americans are like you and maybe they'll be a bit more chilled about it.

Ha. Funny thing is that I always end up being a sort of ambassador to the US in certain circles around here. Played a scrimmage yesterday afternoon under the scorching HK heat and humidity. Could only muster an hour. As I was leaving, one of the Scottish players asked me if I was injured or something, with the sly smile. Everyone else said that they hope I recover quickly. One commented how he loves seeing Americans "getting into the sport". Ive been playing since I was a kid.

Also, at boxing, we were sparring today. I'm the only white guy in a class of 7 Chinese. They all sparred lightly with one another, but as soon as it was my turn, every single one was out to try and knock me the freak out.

Not sure if people just hate white and/or American dudes, or it's just me.
"Wrong!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
just saw a Clint Dempsey interview. highly punchable face
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
just saw a Clint Dempsey interview. highly punchable face

my favorite American player of all-time
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:58:46 AM »
This weekend's Sunday Times had a huge expose on FIFA and the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar; they have a whole load of emails proving corruption and showing that payments were made directly to FIFA members in return for their votes. I've no idea how this will all end but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they cancel the decision and re-vote it; if they do I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go to the US, as it should have done all along.

Jetaho

• Laveranues Coles
  • HAPPY BIRTH
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
This weekend's Sunday Times had a huge expose on FIFA and the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar; they have a whole load of emails proving corruption and showing that payments were made directly to FIFA members in return for their votes. I've no idea how this will all end but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they cancel the decision and re-vote it; if they do I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it go to the US, as it should have done all along.

I think most people smelled a rat when they awarded it to Qatar.  I mean, seriously.  Qatar?  In June/July?  Seriously?  I don't know how far they are along with designing/building stadiums, but getting out of the Qatar WC could be very expensive for FIFA.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
I think most people smelled a rat when they awarded it to Qatar.  I mean, seriously.  Qatar?  In June/July?  Seriously?  I don't know how far they are along with designing/building stadiums, but getting out of the Qatar WC could be very expensive for FIFA.

They haven't started building one of the cities, much less the stadium. Frankly, I don't care. Good luck in court if there's proven bribery occurred to get the competition in the first place. There are so many reasons it should never have been taken seriously as a bid in the first place - I'm quite happy to see a Middle Eastern bid succeed, but it needs to be on the right terms and corruption quite apart from anything else, I would set human rights and legislative intolerance as being a prerequisite to any bid.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
FIFA is under which country's jurisdiction? france? Whose courts will hear the case?
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:12 PM »
FIFA is under which country's jurisdiction? france? Whose courts will hear the case?

No idea how that would work. FIFA are headquartered in Switzerland, but I don't have the first clue how international law works.

ons

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 05:50:11 AM »
I read or heard somewhere that because the Qatar officials were using American dollars as bribes, the US would have some claim for jurisdiction.

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 07:59:15 AM »
I don't think that's true at all. Doesn't make much sense.

I think nothing will come of it, besides the people involved being banned from FIFA or something.
"Wrong!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »
I think nothing will come of it, besides the people involved being banned from FIFA or something.
Accepting bribes or kickbacks isn't legal. They could definitely be prosecuted.