Author Topic: And the award for the wealthiest (and most overpaid) sport goes to....  (Read 5049 times)

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
...unlike soccer, in which a huge amount of clubs can only pay the astronomic wages they do thanks to the largesse of their extremely wealthy and presumably very bored owners.

Manchester City is a perfect example.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Manchester City is a perfect example.

City, Real, PSG, Chelsea, the list of elite European clubs who would go bust tomorrow if their owners/benefactors walked away is long and distinguished.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tommy

• Mark Gastineau
  • I don't get it
City, Real, PSG, Chelsea, the list of elite European clubs who would go bust tomorrow if their owners/benefactors walked away is long and distinguished.

When I become a billionaire, I'll buy Nottingham Forrest and turn it into a Soccer Superpower. Don't you worry.
"Wrong!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
When I become a billionaire, I'll buy Nottingham Forrest and turn it into a Soccer Superpower. Don't you worry.

Good luck with that. You wouldn't be the first immensely wealthy man to discover that money can't break the curse.

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
Hockey players are underpaid. Unless you play out in the KHL.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
Hockey players are underpaid. Unless you play out in the KHL.

Crap. There are already several teams who can't afford to spend to the cap; the economics of hockey are pretty finely balanced and the disparity between the haves and the have-nots is extremely wide. Any increase in cap and therefore in star players' wages would see the league start to split into a two tier system; the league's minimum salary is a shade over $500K which is comparable to the NFL.

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
Crap. There are already several teams who can't afford to spend to the cap; the economics of hockey are pretty finely balanced and the disparity between the haves and the have-nots is extremely wide. Any increase in cap and therefore in star players' wages would see the league start to split into a two tier system; the league's minimum salary is a shade over $500K which is comparable to the NFL.

In my mind, I am comparing it to MLB or NBA. I also taking into account for the toughness of the game. Hockey has a 82 game season and it's by far one of the most taxing sports to play (wear and tear on the body). We also see a lot of injuries in a 82 game season.

MoreCharacters

• Laveranues Coles
including nfl players with signing bonuses and such seems silly when their one year salary isn't going to be close to the guys around them over the next few

in about 4 years or so baseball players are going to start edging out everyone but the ridiculous soccer guys and the handful of individual sport endorsement crowd when the 30+ annual salaries of guys like trout and miggy kick in.  plus jeter going off to die somewhere and opening up some of that endorsement money

eyedea

• Laveranues Coles
Just read this the other day, very interesting. GSP, don't fight anymore but he was taking home a % of the PPV buys. He was bringing in close to 3 million just on the PPV. with fight money and endorsements he was bringing in 15 million a year, just to fight 2 or 3 times.

Tags: