Author Topic: WR Corey Davis  (Read 5895 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: WR Corey Davis
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2023, 08:57:03 PM »
Davis has better hands

Not sure where you're getting that from. Both started their careers in 2018, but Lazard only had 1 appearance that year as a UDFA / PS player on two teams. Here are their respective career stats:

20 drop / 239 rec / 17 TD / 3504 yards / 396 targets - Davis
14 drop / 170 rec / 20 TD / 2243 yards / 260 targets - Lazard

Davis has slightly worse drop / target and TD / target rates, but he's also played with worse QBs so his targets are probably slightly less accurate. They're statistically virtually the same player - both bring a lot that isn't measured by stats, specifically in terms of blocking and their locker room presence. They also both cost about the same, a bit over $10M a year.

The major difference here is that one of them is a favourite of our QB, and the other one can be cut or traded at absolutely no cost to us if we have an opportunity to upgrade at another position.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
Re: WR Corey Davis
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2023, 09:27:20 PM »
The same amount as Lazard if Davis beats him out? Lazard and Davis can fill similar roles. Davis has better hands, Lazard has been healthier. Can we save 10 million? Sure. But what are we spending it on? This late in the game there is no (likely) corresponding move.

This is the go for it all time. Don’t penny pinch. If we can trade him out for like Mike Evans sure. But that’s not a likely scenario

I’m not penny pinching, I’m saying it’d be easier to let him go so we can keep someone who fills a role on special teams, has better hands, or can stay on the field more.

I’m not even hoping we cut him, I just don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility for him to be off the roster in a scenario that isn’t a hypothetical trade for a much better talent.

Corey Davis isn’t a special talent relative to the league, he’s just 28 years old. We have veteran experience in that WR room without him.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 09:33:00 PM by CatoTheElder »
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Tags: