Author Topic: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread  (Read 15979 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: Unofficial ‘21-22 Yankees Offseason thread
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2021, 04:21:02 PM »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2021, 06:27:08 PM »
Lots of shortstop options. Part of me wonders if the Yankees try to get a more short-term solution, like get Trevor Story on a one-year prove-it deal, or give Marcus Semien a big shorter term deal. When there are this many prominent shortstops available, someone will get left out in the cold, and I could see the Yankees going cheaper and leaving that spot open for Volpe in two years.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
Cards hired Oliver Marmol.

Fellow Yankees fans, how would you react if they had fired Boone and hired Oliver Marmol as his replacement?

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2021, 11:00:07 AM »
Cards hired Oliver Marmol.

Fellow Yankees fans, how would you react if they had fired Boone and hired Oliver Marmol as his replacement?
I would have been fine with it.

I don't know anything about Oliver Marmol, but I've seen enough from Boone where he is a below average manager, and I'd be willing to take my chances on a replacement. I don't think it would change a ton because I don't think managers really mean all that much, but I would have taken my chances on [generic baseball guy] over Boone.

What's the downside? We downgrade from our below average manager? That's like saying we should hold onto Todd Bowles because we might hire Adam Gase next.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2021, 07:59:31 PM »
I don't know anything about Marmol either, but I don't see how any managerial hire moves the needle for this team at this point.

Boone isn't anything fantastic, nor is he nearly as bad as he gets blame for. This is Brian Cashman's team, and we heard even before the hiring process started that Cashman was going to hire a guy who was going to manage games as instructed from the analytics department.

Boone's a highly paid gopher who talks nicely to the even more handsomely paid grown children.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2021, 10:02:13 AM »
freak it.

Throw the blank check at Correa and be done with it.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
Sigh

https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1456257947059638285?t=F60zt9Ru-WmvpEo5A873Yg&s=19

I remember watching this in Binghamton via bootleg stream on my laptop, sitting on a dingy couch in a poorly heated house.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »
Sigh

https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1456257947059638285?t=F60zt9Ru-WmvpEo5A873Yg&s=19

I remember watching this in Binghamton via bootleg stream on my laptop, sitting on a dingy couch in a poorly heated house.

The old Cryans in South Orange.

OG Four Loko was still legal and I pounded two of those fuckers before even hitting the bar because I knew despite being in freaking Essex County New Jersey, my fellow Setonians who were from south Jersey (north philly, and those disgusting accidents, eww) were going to show up in full force, so I needed to be in rare form.

I love that 09 team. What a great mix of personalities. The amount of walk off wins they had that year was insane.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2021, 01:36:13 PM »
It was fun being in college in Philly when the Yankees beat the Phillies.

It's also the 20-year anniversary of Luis Gonzalez. I was so spoiled from the Yankees as a kid that it didn't even bother me that much. The Jets beat the Saints that night (the Kyle Turley helmet game), and I didn't think they would, so I felt I went 1-1 in games that night, and that the Yankees would just be back the following year. Ha.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »

It's also the 20-year anniversary of Luis Gonzalez. I was so spoiled from the Yankees as a kid that it didn't even bother me that much. The Jets beat the Saints that night (the Kyle Turley helmet game), and I didn't think they would, so I felt I went 1-1 in games that night, and that the Yankees would just be back the following year. Ha.

I feel like we're around the same age. I was heartbroken by the Yankees loss in 01 but I too figured that the World Series was an annual birthright and didn't expect a 9 year title drought. I was also stoked by the Jets winning that night on the road even with Herm (as per usual) managing the game and clock like excrement.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2021, 02:45:41 PM »

The memory and emotion is a bit faded now, but I think I was pretty broken up about 2001. The ups and downs of that WS and all of it coming in the wake of 9/11, and to lose they way we did, it was awful. I don't think I got over it until 2009.

2009 cured a lot. If we didn't have that, imagine the multiplied saltiness of the fan base compared to its current state.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 02:49:07 PM by Badger »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »
New Britain, CT

Took shrooms during game 4. Pounded champagne and excrement on Pedro’s corpse after game 6.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »

As a kid I didn’t live and die with my team like I do now (even tho I’m very jaded by the last 10 years of Jets and Yankees). 2001 was horrible, but they were winning WS’s so much back then, my reaction was pretty much that they were due to lose. Probably would have hit me worse if I knew what was to come.

Tags: