Author Topic: Zach Fans, Not Jets Fans  (Read 163360 times)

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
Re: Zach to the Future
« Reply #2325 on: November 28, 2022, 09:39:44 PM »
having the 'yips' to this degree and for as prolonged a period as he's had it is a very poor prognostic sign for him here. who knows what he can do with his nfl career but i don't see a way he can meaningfully turn this around and become something with the jets, especially if white continues to show he is at the very least serviceable or we sign a solid vet like jimmy G to hold the fort.

this goes without saying but in order to make it at the top level in professional sports you not only need the physical traits to make the cut, but the mental intelligence and fortitude to do so as well. it's why a guy like denzel mims, for as gifted as he is physically, hasn't made it here yet. i love bringing up michael beasley as an example to my friends, as he is a guy that players like lebron and KD describe as a 'walking bucket', but never made it because he never had what it takes mentally.

zach by all accounts seems like an intelligent kid and works very hard, but if he can't complete a checkdown due to a 'mental block', he's finished. a lot of us here asked what the 'yips' reference even meant as it's something we don't see or hear of often at this level; it's not something we see happen to actual top QBs at all. it's happened to zach.

factoring in his thin skin to criticism and the likelihood that he was operating in this position with some level of entitlement and immaturity, i think saleh is being very kind to him in saying he will go back in when he's ready. he's keeping the media hounds off of him. the only way there's a chance zach goes back in at this point is if mike white gets hurt, and if he does i can see us giving flacco a long look before we decide to throw zach back into the fire.

no matter how you cut it it's not good

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #2326 on: November 28, 2022, 10:35:39 PM »
having the 'yips' to this degree and for as prolonged a period as he's had it is a very poor prognostic sign for him here. who knows what he can do with his nfl career but i don't see a way he can meaningfully turn this around and become something with the jets, especially if white continues to show he is at the very least serviceable or we sign a solid vet like jimmy G to hold the fort.

this goes without saying but in order to make it at the top level in professional sports you not only need the physical traits to make the cut, but the mental intelligence and fortitude to do so as well. it's why a guy like denzel mims, for as gifted as he is physically, hasn't made it here yet. i love bringing up michael beasley as an example to my friends, as he is a guy that players like lebron and KD describe as a 'walking bucket', but never made it because he never had what it takes mentally.

zach by all accounts seems like an intelligent kid and works very hard, but if he can't complete a checkdown due to a 'mental block', he's finished. a lot of us here asked what the 'yips' reference even meant as it's something we don't see or hear of often at this level; it's not something we see happen to actual top QBs at all. it's happened to zach.

factoring in his thin skin to criticism and the likelihood that he was operating in this position with some level of entitlement and immaturity, i think saleh is being very kind to him in saying he will go back in when he's ready. he's keeping the media hounds off of him. the only way there's a chance zach goes back in at this point is if mike white gets hurt, and if he does i can see us giving flacco a long look before we decide to throw zach back into the fire.

no matter how you cut it it's not good
I don't think what we've seen is unique to Zach though. It doesn't look much different than things we saw when Sanchez or Darnold struggled. I know everyone here can remember seeing them skip the ball in front of their target's feet on what should be easy throws and wondering wtf.

I think the biggest difference is the situation. Right now we have a combination of 1. bad play 2. we currently expect the Jets to win games and 3. not being particularly likeable. Not even going to get into coaching since I don't recall any Jets fan ever saying how much they loved what our offensive staff was doing with our young QB - questionable at best offensive coaching has been a constant throughout the years.

loyaljetsfan

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #2327 on: November 29, 2022, 08:53:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Zm-xLjOt4

Chris Simms Hot Take: White played well, but Wilson should've started.  Jets win 28-10 with Wilson under center.

Give him credit, he's going down with the ship

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2328 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »
I think Wilson should've been given one more shot against a bad defense like Chicago but there's no way he pulls to trigger on both of those passes to Elijah Moore. 

Saleh made the right call.  He also made the right call benching James Robinson for Bam Knight.

He should start getting COTY recognition.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2329 on: November 29, 2022, 09:07:52 AM »
I think Wilson should've been given one more shot against a bad defense like Chicago but there's no way he pulls to trigger on both of those passes to Elijah Moore. 

Saleh made the right call.  He also made the right call benching James Robinson for Bam Knight.

He should start getting COTY recognition.

It's going to be Sirianni or O'Connell barring spectacular collapses in the next six weeks.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2330 on: November 29, 2022, 09:11:28 AM »
Chris Simms Hot Take: White played well, but Wilson should've started.  Jets win 28-10 with Wilson under center.

Give him credit, he's going down with the ship

Apparently they think this will result in a messy divorce. And they floated the idea of the Jets trading him for a 2nd round pick?

I suppose it's a medium risk high reward thing, but I'd hate to be the franchise giving up a 2nd for him.

But if we could shop Zach for a 2nd, go into next season with Jimmy G and Mike White, thats gotta be a boon for this teams playoff chances.

And I just don't see us bringing in a Jimmy G if Wilson is on the roster, unless Jimmy Gs market is complete and utter excrement

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2331 on: November 29, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »
It's going to be Sirianni or O'Connell barring spectacular collapses in the next six weeks.

O'Connell isn't in most top 2 or 3s as far as betting odds

Sirianni is by far the favorite.

But McDaniel can give him a run for his money. Saleh Daboll O'Connell and Mccarthy are all fairly up there as well.

Eagles have some potentially tough matchups against the titans giants and Cowboys, but are the safest bet to have the best record in the league
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:19:42 AM by dcm1602 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #2332 on: November 29, 2022, 09:33:21 AM »
Betting markets are a function of the money already wagered as much as they are what the book thinks will happen. But I had forgotten McDaniel, he should make up the top three with Sirianni and O'Connell. Daboll's star is probably fading a bit now as far as COTY is concerned, no Dallas coach should ever be considered, and Saleh needs a spectacular run over the next few weeks to be worthy of consideration IMO because we've already shat the bed at least a couple of times this season.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2333 on: November 29, 2022, 09:42:35 AM »
Saleh could knock O'Connell down a peg this week.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2334 on: November 29, 2022, 10:41:30 AM »
Saleh is the 2nd favorite. Awards markets are super volatile each week, especially something like Coach.

Eagles were a playoff team last year. I am fine with Sirianni favored but he shouldn't be odds on. If Eagles go 14-3 against their schedule after already being good last year, I don't know if thats enough if the Jets win 10-11.

If the Jets make the playoffs, I think the narrative will move towards Saleh.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2335 on: November 29, 2022, 10:44:16 AM »
One silver lining to consider, if Zach were to actually be labeled a bust, is that JE was wrong all along about the tank in 2020.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2336 on: November 29, 2022, 10:46:53 AM »
One silver lining to consider, if Zach were to actually be labeled a bust, is that JE was wrong all along about the tank in 2020.

He was wrong no matter what

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #2337 on: November 29, 2022, 10:48:15 AM »
Saleh has dealt with significantly more adversity than Sirianni or O'Connell.

We lost our two best offensive players to injury and he made a change at QB.  Our defense also made a huge jump.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #2338 on: November 29, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
He was wrong no matter what
Yeah but then it would be scientifically proven.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #2339 on: November 29, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
Yeah but then it would be scientifically proven.
Nah it's already proven. The good news is JE will always have his unmitigated joy from Frank Gore falling derriere backwards for a 1st down.

Tags: