Author Topic: 2020 Bowl SZN  (Read 19532 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: 2020 Bowl SZN
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2021, 09:23:02 AM »
If the bengals are behind us there is no reason why we couldn't swap picks for a 3rd
The Bengals would need to believe that we're a threat to take Sewell at 2 or that another team is willing to jump ahead of them for Sewell.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
As of now, if we can't get Lawrence I'm thinking get D Smith at WR and another stud OT, whatever moves make that happen. Dominate the LOS and add a big weapon on the outside.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
As of now, if we can't get Lawrence I'm thinking get D Smith at WR and another stud OT, whatever moves make that happen. Dominate the LOS and add a big weapon on the outside.

Need a QB first
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
Need a QB first

If none available are better than the one we have, get the WR and OT. JD and the new staff will have to make that call.

Otherwise we're on the same treadmill at QB we've been on at D line, just replacing a previous high pick with new ones and not improving the team.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
If none available are better than the one we have, get the WR and OT. JD and the new staff will have to make that call.

Otherwise we're on the same treadmill at QB we've been on at D line, just replacing a previous high pick with new ones and not improving the team.

I agree it'll be the call for the new regime.  But Sam is done here imo.

- JD didn't draft Darnold..so there's no loyalty.
- Unless we're hiring a desperate retread for a HC, i highly doubt a new regime will want to work with a reclamation project....sorry to say, but that's what Gase did to our QB.
- I would take Wilson/Fields over Sam if the draft was tomorrow.
- the roster will improve this year and next year, whether we take a QB in the first round or not.  JD did an excellent job loading up on draft capital.
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »
Field Yates
@FieldYates
·
9m
The University of Texas has fired head coach Tom Herman.

Chip Brown
@ChipBrown247
 · 6m
BREAKING: #Alabama OC Steve Sarkisian is expected to be named the new coach at #Texas, replacing Tom Herman, who was fired Saturday, multiple sources told Horns247.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2021, 11:23:45 AM »
I agree it'll be the call for the new regime.  But Sam is done here imo.

- JD didn't draft Darnold..so there's no loyalty.
- Unless we're hiring a desperate retread for a HC, i highly doubt a new regime will want to work with a reclamation project....sorry to say, but that's what Gase did to our QB.
- I would take Wilson/Fields over Sam if the draft was tomorrow.
- the roster will improve this year and next year, whether we take a QB in the first round or not.  JD did an excellent job loading up on draft capital.

The question is guarantee to improve the team with a #2 overall and another first rounder, or take another gigantic gamble in the top 5. Trade out of the #2 if you can get Jones and an OT, a lot of QBs can succeed then.

Parcells traded out of #1 when Manning didn't come out and our QBs at the time were O'Donnell who he hated and Foley who sucked. But he built the team up to where any number of QBs could succeed, then one did, who turned out to be Vinny.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2021, 11:24:06 AM »
Good for Sark

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
The question is guarantee to improve the team with a #2 overall and another first rounder, or take another gigantic gamble in the top 5. Trade out of the #2 if you can get Jones and an OT, a lot of QBs can succeed then.

Parcells traded out of #1 when Manning didn't come out and our QBs at the time were O'Donnell who he hated and Foley who sucked. But he built the team up to where any number of QBs could succeed, then one did, who turned out to be Vinny.
Because the QBs in that draft sucked, and then he got lucky that he got a career year from. Vinny.

I get the case for building up the rest of the roster in a lot of drafts. But this is a great QB draft on paper. Sure it didn't work out in 2018 but that can't scare you from trying again in 2021, especially when we have a full draft class of picks in addition to the #2.

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »
If we determine that Darnold's not the answer or aren't confident enough that he is to take the risk of running it back with him for another year and grade one of the quarterbacks available at 2 as a franchise guy, we have to take him. It's that simple.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 02:38:22 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
If we determine that Darnold's not the answer or aren't confident enough that he is to take the risk of running it back with him for another year and grade one of the quarterbacks available at 2 as a franchise guy, we have to take him. It's that simple.
Exactly.

To me, this QB class has 3 quarterbacks that could go #1 overall in certain classes. I would take Wilson or Fields as a prospect over Tua or Herbert. They're both in the same class as Burrow IMO. Lawrence is a notch above that.

If this was the 2019 draft, and the quarterback options after #1 were Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins, we would be looking a lot harder at veteran options and at keeping Sam for next season.

But on paper, this is a very good QB class. Some would even throw Trey Lance in that mix. I haven't seen enough to make a decision there. That seems aggressive, but if we hired the right coaching staff, trading down a couple spots and picking Lance (if that is doable) might work out great as well.

I don't see how you can be confident that Darnold is the answer. You can think he's a great kid, a hard worker, and you can see some of his arm talent when he plays, but 3 years into his career, he needs to show more than that to have confidence in him. And if you lack confidence in Sam, and you have a potential franchise QB staring you in the face, it's hard not to move on.

I don't think this has anything to do with the pick at #2 being some short of shiny new toy either. It's a practical decision given:
- how poorly Darnold has played
- Darnold's impending free agency
- the quality of this draft class at QB
- our assets to build around this QB thanks to our cap space and the Adams trade
- attracting a new head coach

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »
Look, I love Darnold. I've never made any bones about that. I'll continue to believe in and root for him regardless of what team he plays for (provided it's not in the AFC East). There's a part of me that would love to see us devote our plethora of resources to surrounding him with as much talent as possible and continue to ride-or-die with him. There's another part of me (the logical part) that understands that it would be foolish to take the risk of continuing to ride with him because of the financial implications and the opportunity cost (passing on the opportunity to take an elite QB prospect at 2). It will be painful but I believe it's ultimately in the best interest of team and player that we move on, take a QB at 2, and trade Darnold to what will hopefully be a better situation for him where we can recoup as much draft capital as possible.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 03:27:47 PM by Andrew Ryan »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2021, 03:19:53 PM »
Look, I love Darnold. I've never made any bones about that. I'll continue to believe in and root for him regardless of what team he plays for (provided it's not in the AFC East). There's a part of me that would love to see us devote our vast array of resources to surrounding him with as much talent as possible and continue to ride-or-die with him. There's another part of me (the logical part) that understands that it would be foolish to take the risk of continuing to ride with Darnold because of the financial repercussions and the opportunity cost (passing on the chance to take a QB at 2 when multiple elite prospects are available). It will be painful but I believe it's ultimately in the best interest of team and player that we move on, take a QB at 2, and trade Darnold to what will hopefully be a better situation for him where we can recoup as much draft capital as possible.

This is mostly where I'm at although I'm not yet quite as far down the road. I have accepted that Darnold is probably done here but I'm still holding out hope he'll be given the chance to compete next season, and I'd still rather see us use the #2 pick to support the quarterback instead of replace him.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Andrew Ryan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2021, 03:25:29 PM »
I'm totally against taking a player at 2 if it's not a QB. I believe the package we could obtain for that pick would be far more valuable than any player we could take with it. #2 is too high for a receiver and we already have a left tackle in Becton. No defensive player in this draft is worth that pick.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2021, 03:33:55 PM »
Fields and Wilson are not on Burrow's level.

Tags: