Author Topic: 2021 MLB Season  (Read 29956 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: 2021 MLB Season
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2021, 10:37:40 PM »
I'm confused. Why did the first baseman try and chase down the batter instead of taking two steps back to the bag?

Correct
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »
You see the first baseman tag the batter once in while when the throw pulls him off the bag to his left. Usually, the runner will just stop and the 1B will take a step or two towards him and apply the tag or the guy runs out of the basepath to avoid it and it out anyway.

I've never seen anything like that though. He had the presence of mind to run all the way back to home without touching it or leaving the baseline.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2021, 07:47:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1398701073477607424?s=20

this is awesome lmfaoo. i'd like to know the context of whether he was looking to possibly drop down a bunt before that anyways, or whether it was just next level plotting on his part to engineer a way to unexpectedly truck the pitcher

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2021, 12:36:18 PM »
MLB batting average through May 30:

2011:  .252
2012:  .252
2013:  .253
2014:  .251
2015:  .251
2016:  .252
2017:  .251
2018:  .246
2019:  .249
2021:  .236

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2021, 10:17:59 AM »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2021, 07:23:28 AM »
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2021, 07:46:31 AM »
The Jays lack of bullpen quality has now cost them at least 6 games (the ones i've watched anyway).  I'm sure this will come into play when we get frozen out of the wildcard race in Sept.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2021, 09:37:40 AM »
The Jays lack of bullpen quality has now cost them at least 6 games (the ones i've watched anyway).  I'm sure this will come into play when we get frozen out of the wildcard race in Sept.

I think you're going to see a lot of lower-quality pens in the coming weeks. Did you read the SI article that broke the sticky stuff case wide open? That excrement completely changed pitching all over the sport.

The bat was being taken out of guys' hands. I'm vehemently anti-3-true-outcome hitters, but I'm a lot more anti-cheaters. I've always been 100% behind 1 legal grip substance, but "Spider Tack"? No way.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2021, 10:19:19 AM »
I think you're going to see a lot of lower-quality pens in the coming weeks. Did you read the SI article that broke the sticky stuff case wide open? That excrement completely changed pitching all over the sport.

The bat was being taken out of guys' hands. I'm vehemently anti-3-true-outcome hitters, but I'm a lot more anti-cheaters. I've always been 100% behind 1 legal grip substance, but "Spider Tack"? No way.

there isn't enough spider-tack on the planet to help the Jays' bullpen.  Rafael Dolis is garbage.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2021, 10:25:14 AM »

i self admittedly need to learn a lot more about this and haven't been following very closely, but i saw those glasnow vids and you can't help but feel that there is a lot of merit to his concerns.

manfred and co have always been the worst with big decisions, and this may be another example. if you want to police the game and remove 'cheating', fine, great. figure out a safe and reasonable way to do it.

asking pitchers to go from 'anything' to nothing smack dab in the middle of the season without any sort of forewarning beforehand other than the prior two weeks seems......pretty fcking rash. if this forces pitchers to hold the ball/throw differently than they have their entire lives and recruit forearm muscles to hold the ball tighter before they have to throw their pitches with extreme ferocity and torque, you can totally see and imagine how it could affect arm health.

also, even the punishments seem kind of stupid. miss 10 games without any dock in pay? that sounds like.......a paid vacation? 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
I'm confused by all this. Was it legal before and they changed the rules? Or was it always illegal and just ignored?

In cricket, baseball's estranged sibling, a bowler using anything on their hands and/or the ball other than saliva is massively illegal, and it will and does result in significant suspensions. This is because it affects the flight of the ball - if you've ever watched cricket you'll have noticed players rubbing the ball vigorously on their trouser legs, this is to make one side as shiny as possible in order to create differing air friction on each side of the ball and induce movement (or swing, as it's known in cricket). Foreign substances accelerate and accentuate this effect. Is this not also a concern for baseball?

I find "I got injured because I've built my throwing action around being able to unfairly doctor the ball" to be a wholly unsympathetic argument, but I also accept I might be completely missing something here.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
I did a quick bit of educating myself, and apparently MLB warned teams about using substances to enhance grip last season, and then this spring told them they would be actually cracking down on it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2938007-mlbs-new-rules-for-doctored-baseballs-could-backfire-spectacularly

So yeah. Glasnow complaining he got hurt because his action doesn't work if he can't break the rules doesn't really seem like a particularly legitimate one.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: