Author Topic: COPS  (Read 51414 times)

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
Re: COPS
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2021, 09:01:01 AM »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/niagara-police-officer-trial-parker-1.6172031
Parker's job was to direct motorists to an alternate route. In a $2.5-million lawsuit against Parker, the Niagara Regional Police Service and Niagara police board, Donovan alleges that Parker left his post without permission. Parker's fiancée previously told CBC News that he was leaving to use the restroom and tried to get permission, but he didn't get a response.

When Parker returned, the lawsuit claims, Donovan confronted Parker about leaving his post. That led to an altercation during which Donovan shot Parker 10 times in what Donovan says was self-defence.

One of the bullets grazed Parker's nose. Others hit his leg, shoulder and stomach. Parker was rushed to hospital in serious condition.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #346 on: September 12, 2021, 06:20:00 PM »
I actually don't really appreciate the assist on this one, would have been funnier organically.

https://twitter.com/rtyson82/status/1430931758925717507?s=19

Lmao

So which one is it?   Granted he was a cop (and ACAB) but fwiw he was within a whisker of possibly having his neck broken.   Seriously, while I get it,   I don't get it (the lmao).

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #347 on: September 12, 2021, 07:24:29 PM »
So which one is it?   Granted he was a cop (and ACAB) but fwiw he was within a whisker of possibly having his neck broken.   Seriously, while I get it,   I don't get it (the lmao).
I can fully enjoy him falling on his derriere because it was unforced. That's all. I couldn't fully enjoy it from the original angle because it appeared the guy kicked down the stack which seemed mean-spirited, even by my standards. Seeing the other angle revealed nobody touched the stack.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #349 on: September 15, 2021, 01:17:49 PM »
Where does boing boing go on the news bias chart?

And any are people getting their news from a site called boing boing

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #350 on: September 15, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »

boingboing has been around for years, and it's fairly left wing in its editorial tone. As with any story in any publication, look for the sources: in this case I think the story is fairly well sourced given it's using quotes from the Mayor of Philadelphia as sourced from NBC News. I don't think there's a particularly strong bias in this story other than "oh look, cops being cunts and getting caught for it", which seems like a reasonable position to take in this case.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #351 on: September 15, 2021, 01:51:08 PM »

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-settles-millions-rickia-young-unrest-20210913.html

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #352 on: September 15, 2021, 03:19:04 PM »
Still drives me wild anytime I see these lawsuits (whether warranted or not) that's going to legit take 2 million dollars out of the community and give it to some person.

I don't know the story of this chick, so I'll just assume she is 100% a victim (not like some of the other lawsuits)

But 2 million dollars seems absurd. Unless she was like crippled and had her jaw broken and excrement. But judging from the articles comments "the worst part was them taking a picture with my kid" I'd assume any physical damage wasn't 2 million dollars worthy.

If you want to argue them stealing the money from the police pension fund or something that's a whole different story. But to say hey we're going to take 2 million tax dollars and give it to this chick, messed up

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #353 on: September 15, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »
Still drives me wild anytime I see these lawsuits (whether warranted or not) that's going to legit take 2 million dollars out of the community and give it to some person.

I don't know the story of this chick, so I'll just assume she is 100% a victim (not like some of the other lawsuits)

But 2 million dollars seems absurd. Unless she was like crippled and had her jaw broken and excrement. But judging from the articles comments "the worst part was them taking a picture with my kid" I'd assume any physical damage wasn't 2 million dollars worthy.

If you want to argue them stealing the money from the police pension fund or something that's a whole different story. But to say hey we're going to take 2 million tax dollars and give it to this chick, messed up
Got your priorities in order as usual.

Victim got overcompensated > silly url >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cops yanked a lady who was minding her own business out of her car and beat her in front of her kid and then acted like they rescued the kid

dcm1602

• SUH DUDE
  • Blubbering Pussy
  • Mark Gastineau
« Reply #354 on: September 15, 2021, 03:43:16 PM »
Got your priorities in order as usual.

Victim got overcompensated > silly url >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cops yanked a lady who was minding her own business out of her car and beat her in front of her kid and then acted like they rescued the kid

Is the priority not the good of the people they serve?

Discipline/fire/charge the cops? Sure
Compensate the victim? Sure

Take 2 million dollars away from a presumably poor and underserved community during a global pandemic?

Probably not the wisest idea

I'm not going to oversell cops as valiant heros. But they serve a ton of essential functions, and with the severe fucked up of everything in the world they play a notable role in combating Covid-19

I don't think the solution to bad individuals do bad thing to innocent victim is to take money and probably cause some poor people to die.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #355 on: September 15, 2021, 04:09:30 PM »

Is the priority not the good of the people they serve?

Discipline/fire/charge the cops? Sure
Compensate the victim? Sure

Take 2 million dollars away from a presumably poor and underserved community during a global pandemic?

Probably not the wisest idea

I'm not going to oversell cops as valiant heros. But they serve a ton of essential functions, and with the severe fucked up of everything in the world they play a notable role in combating Covid-19

I don't think the solution to bad individuals do bad thing to innocent victim is to take money and probably cause some poor people to die.

So pull the money from their pension fund, that's the popular retort.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #356 on: September 15, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »

So pull the money from their pension fund, that's the popular retort.

Not sure how it's set up in Philadelphia, but if it's like New York then the settlement wouldn't touch the PD budget at all.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #357 on: September 15, 2021, 04:34:02 PM »
Not sure how it's set up in Philadelphia, but if it's like New York then the settlement wouldn't touch the PD budget at all.
I know, I'm just saying what ought to be.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #358 on: September 15, 2021, 04:58:54 PM »
I know, I'm just saying what ought to be.

Oh, most definitely. Philly PD should pay 100% of this excrement.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

delavan

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #359 on: September 15, 2021, 05:14:08 PM »

boingboing has been around for years, and it's fairly left wing in its editorial tone. As with any story in any publication, look for the sources: in this case I think the story is fairly well sourced given it's using quotes from the Mayor of Philadelphia as sourced from NBC News. I don't think there's a particularly strong bias in this story other than "oh look, cops being cunts and getting caught for it", which seems like a reasonable position to take in this case.

I'll let you two hammer out any perceived bias boingboing may harbor however this boingboing depiction of a certain guy literally seething is quasi-photoshopped hilarious.  Lefty or righty slanted I could care less about and is not my point so much as boingboing's Mad Magazine-level of sophistication:

https://boingboing.net/2020/10/01/trump-has-covid-19.html