Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL thread  (Read 19380 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: 2019-2020 NHL thread
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
Holy excrement the Penguins gave up a 3rd for the rotting carcass of Patrick Marleau. Why?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
A 1st and a 2nd with no conditions on re-signing is a big price to rent a 3C for 20 games and the postseason.
6 years. 5 per.

Parise to the Isles looks like a real-time situation too. 

Mmmm, a winger who can score. A top 6 canter. A left-handed defenseman to make up for the Pelech injury. Clutterbuck on a rehab assignment and Cizikas about 2 weeks away from coming back.

I’m happy on trade deadline day. This all feels so...weird.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2020, 01:13:32 PM »
6 years. 5 per.

Parise to the Isles looks like a real-time situation too. 

Mmmm, a winger who can score. A top 6 canter. A left-handed defenseman to make up for the Pelech injury. Clutterbuck on a rehab assignment and Cizikas about 2 weeks away from coming back.

I’m happy on trade deadline day. This all feels so...weird.
If Pageau is a top 6 center you're winning squat. I love the dude but he's a third line player on a good team.

mj2sexay

• Jorkin My Peanits
  • Shaun Ellis
  • ze/zerrrrr
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
Parise's knee hasn't exploded yet?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2020, 01:32:42 PM »
If Pageau is a top 6 center you're winning squat. I love the dude but he's a third line player on a good team.
Barzal
Nelson
Pageau
Cizikas

In a salary capped sport, that’s about as solid up the middle you can get. I think Nelson or Pageau can play either line. If the Isles can finish the Parise trade you either put him with Barzal and drop Eberle to the Pageau line or just put them on the same line. Either way Parise and Pageau are both already over 20 goals on two not-so-good teams.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »
Parise's knee hasn't exploded yet?
I would take Parise’s age and knee over Ladd any day of the week.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2020, 01:40:47 PM »
Ebs-Barzal-Lee
Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Parise-Pageau-Brassard
Clutter-Cizikas-Martin

Still have guys like Komarov, dalColle and Kuhnachle for depth. This is a pretty solid lineup. Really hope this Parise trade happens.

You still have Bellows, Wahlstrom and Koivula coming up.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2020, 02:11:55 PM »
Welp, looks like no Parise trade.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Barzal
Nelson
Pageau
Cizikas

In a salary capped sport, that’s about as solid up the middle you can get. I think Nelson or Pageau can play either line. If the Isles can finish the Parise trade you either put him with Barzal and drop Eberle to the Pageau line or just put them on the same line. Either way Parise and Pageau are both already over 20 goals on two not-so-good teams.

Pageau is over 20 goals because he's been playing first line with Tkachuk, that's how excrement this roster is. This is the only season in which he has broken the 20 mark and the second season he's made 40 points+. On a decent team he's a 30-35 points / season guy who will give you 15 minutes a night of solid two way play on the third line. All good teams have a guy like this, but very few send top picks and then give them 6 year / $30M contracts. I love Pager and he's been an awesome soldier for us, but we've sold at the very top of the market on this one.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »
Pageau is over 20 goals because he's been playing first line with Tkachuk, that's how excrement this roster is. This is the only season in which he has broken the 20 mark and the second season he's made 40 points+. On a decent team he's a 30-35 points / season guy who will give you 15 minutes a night of solid two way play on the third line. All good teams have a guy like this, but very few send top picks and then give them 6 year / $30M contracts. I love Pager and he's been an awesome soldier for us, but we've sold at the very top of the market on this one.
Obviously. It’s a smart move by the Sens.

I don’t think you understand how many players make $5 million a year. He’s 27 and he’ll be making almost exactly twice the league average. I don’t know how you could think that’s a lot of money. Pageau was also, other than Kreider, the unquestionable most valuable rental available. The Isles have some decent prospects coming up at wing but center was a need and they got one who should be entering his prime with a good set of players around him.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »
Obviously. It’s a smart move by the Sens.

I don’t think you understand how many players make $5 million a year. He’s 27 and he’ll be making almost exactly twice the league average. I don’t know how you could think that’s a lot of money. Pageau was also, other than Kreider, the unquestionable most valuable rental available. The Isles have some decent prospects coming up at wing but center was a need and they got one who should be entering his prime with a good set of players around him.

$5M isn't a lot of money for a good player in isolation. It is a lot of money when you have to give it to him every year for the next six years. I don't think it's an insane overpay but it's definitely more than he's worth, he's an excellent defensive player who will give you a bit of offense. He's not exactly a unicorn.

By way of context, his performance this season (which we agree is an outlier) is under his new contract about $150K per point. Some relevant comparison points:

Derick Brassard: $30K / point
Tyler Ennis (who we just traded to Edmonton for a 5th): $18K / point
Max Domi: $60K / point
Charlie Coyle: $72K / point
Lucas Wallmark: $21K / point

I'm just picking out random 3Cs here, but even at performance levels he's never going to reach again $150K / point is a huge amount of money for the third line and no amount of defense is making up for that. And aren't you about to tack another $8-10M onto your wage bill for Barzal?

I think that time has passed Lou by. He can still pick a player but if you look at what he did in Toronto and now this, he doesn't seem to really know where the value is any more.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2020, 06:19:01 PM »
For someone who complains an awful lot about rooting for a team with a shitty owner, you don’t know the first thing about being an islanders fan.

I had to sit through 12 years of Mike Milbury and 10 years of Garth fuckin Snow. That’s 22 years of the worst management in the league. They won 1 freaking playoff series in that time span. 1.

Lamoriello won 3 Cups in Jersey and built the Leafs into a 100-Point team. Maple Leaf fans already want Dubas gone.

Pageau was the most valuable thing available today. I don’t care about the draft picks. Frankly, keeping Dobson, Wilde, Bellows, Wahlstrom over any pick is very important. As I said, center is a position of need and they do have contracts coming off the books. They will be able to offer Barzal a max contract and will be able to pay Pulock and Toews. The rest of the core of the team is locked up. I think Lee’s contract is a little egregious but he’s the captain and the most respected guy in the locker room. Paying a 27-year-old 2/3C isn’t an issue for this team. I know you love arguing but this is a move this team had to make. Especially considering a majority of the league doesn’t want to come here. You can pull all this money per point excrement out your derriere, you should know better than anyone, thats not what it’s all about in this sport. Funny thing, his contract is front loaded so his cap hit is only 4M and 3.5M the last 2 years.

It’s funny, everyone talks about how old Lou is but he’s turned the Isles from a laughingstock to a 100-Point team and everything he’s done, questioned even by our own fans has worked out. The guy wins no matter where he’s been.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:21:21 PM by guinness77 »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
It’s funny, everyone talks about how old Lou is but he’s turned the Isles from a laughingstock to a 100-Point team and everything he’s done, questioned even by our own fans has worked out. The guy wins no matter where he’s been.

How many cups has he won since the introduction of the salary cap?

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2020, 06:36:47 PM »
How many cups has he won since the introduction of the salary cap?
Lol

Ok, terrible GM. He obviously sucks.

Next time you complain about Melnyk, I’ll hold your beer.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
Lol

Ok, terrible GM. He obviously sucks.

Next time you complain about Melnyk, I’ll hold your beer.

The fact that my team is owned by a world class shitbag currently (our GM is actually an outstanding scout, which is pretty much the only thing that has kept the franchise alive under Melnyk) is irrelevant to the fact that Lamoriello didn't do a great job at the Leafs, and appears to be repeating some of the same mistakes. He didn't build excrement in Toronto - he made obvious draft picks (Marner at #4 after McDavid and Eichel were off the board, Matthews at #1 the following year) and spunked a huge amount of money on a clearly over the hill Patrick Marleau, dumped Kessel for excrement so he could immediately go win a Cup, and dumped their captain and best defenseman for him to immediately go and become the heart of their provincial rivals' run to the Conference final. In fact, the one decent roster move he made for Toronto in three years was the trade for Andersen, and even that hasn't helped them much.

Shanahan dumped him because he could see it wasn't working. Brilliantly, he then got someone even worse in Dubas who immediately further fucked them on contracts. They've got one and a half lines, no defense and a revolving door between the pipes, and Lamoriello built it. I think the Islanders have a much more balanced roster and are a much better bet for long term success, but I wouldn't bank on that remaining the case if you leave Lamoriello in charge. Maybe I'm wrong and it was all Shanahan's fault all along, but I doubt it.

Tags: