Author Topic: 2020 MLB thread  (Read 44908 times)

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
Re: 2020 MLB thread
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2020, 10:11:31 AM »
i wonder if theyre gonna touch on his wife ignoring roys wishes to go into the hall as a blue jay because the phillies gave her a job and the blue jays didnt trade him when she wanted?

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
The MLB owners have approved a proposal to present to players, as @Ken_Rosenthal reported. They plan to meet tomorrow to discuss it.

Now is when it starts to get serious. And we'll know soon enough if baseball is actually coming back in 2020.

Passan
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
https://twitter.com/jflan816/status/1260721297522339843?s=21

I always knew Snell was a massive player of the pink oboe

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »

I disagree. I think he's right. He made his point in a shitty way, but I agree with the substance of the argument.

Why do the players have to sacrifice salary they'll never recoup? And be sequestered from their families (or put their families' health at risk)? And risk injury while at reduced pay?

We're in a crazy world and emotions play a big part of people's perceptions of situations. Unemployment is skyrocketing, so no one wants to hear a millionaire cry about his lost income, but Tony Clark is right, player salaries aren't tied to revenue. And the owners wanted it that way. When times were good and owners were making money hand-over-fist, they didn't want to share. Well, what goes around, comes around.

Pay the players.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »

Marc Topkin
@TBTimes_Rays
#Rays Snell said he thinks concern over #coronavirus is being over-hyped by media: “If I get it, it I get it.”
1:31 PM · Mar 11, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2020, 12:38:16 PM »
That’s funny, I’m making less money because of all this, I’m way more at risk at getting this than an MLB player is and I have to bring home that chance to my family every day from work. Play your kid’s game and make 10 million a year instead of 15 million a year for just one year.

My wife is a soccer coach and she’s raised $6,000 for groceries for the town’s food harvest and the line is pretty long every day and these guys are gonna complain? Sorry but that’s a bunch of bullshit and goes to show you how out of touch they are with the people who usually spend a few hundred bucks just to watch a 9-inning game.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2020, 12:52:40 PM »
I disagree. I think he's right. He made his point in a shitty way, but I agree with the substance of the argument.

Why do the players have to sacrifice salary they'll never recoup? And be sequestered from their families (or put their families' health at risk)? And risk injury while at reduced pay?

We're in a crazy world and emotions play a big part of people's perceptions of situations. Unemployment is skyrocketing, so no one wants to hear a millionaire cry about his lost income, but Tony Clark is right, player salaries aren't tied to revenue. And the owners wanted it that way. When times were good and owners were making money hand-over-fist, they didn't want to share. Well, what goes around, comes around.

Pay the players.

I didn’t say I disagree with 100% of what he’s saying. He talks like a prick and he comes off as entitled and selfish.

I don’t buy that he’s worried about the health risks. He very clearly says he would be fine with playing if he was making his full salary.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
How much does money does Stuart Sternberg stand to bring in from a partial season at zero risk to himself?

Snell sounds kind of like a dick here but don't miss the forest for the trees.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2020, 05:49:56 PM »
That’s funny, I’m making less money because of all this, I’m way more at risk at getting this than an MLB player is and I have to bring home that chance to my family every day from work. Play your kid’s game and make 10 million a year instead of 15 million a year for just one year.

My wife is a soccer coach and she’s raised $6,000 for groceries for the town’s food harvest and the line is pretty long every day and these guys are gonna complain? Sorry but that’s a bunch of bullshit and goes to show you how out of touch they are with the people who usually spend a few hundred bucks just to watch a 9-inning game.

As I said, human emotion is going to cloud your opinion on a topic like this. You're not wrong, but he's not wrong for implying "Pay me my entire salary or I'm joining the inevitable picket line and everybody loses."

The difference between us and him is that we can't afford to lose a year's salary and unfortunately, due to the nature of his job, he's far less replaceable than you or me.

BTW, your wife is awesome.

I didn’t say I disagree with 100% of what he’s saying. He talks like a prick and he comes off as entitled and selfish.

I don’t buy that he’s worried about the health risks. He very clearly says he would be fine with playing if he was making his full salary.

He absolutely came off as a prick, no arguments there.

As far as the health risks, I can't speak for him, but even if he is worried, players will be tested at least a few times a week, if not daily, so he's got far less to worry about than the rest of us, and he likely knows that.

How much does money does Stuart Sternberg stand to bring in from a partial season at zero risk to himself?

Snell sounds kind of like a dick here but don't miss the forest for the trees.

Exactly. Snell shows the same out-of-touch attitude that many athletes do ("How am I going to feed my kids?") but the reality is, no one is saying the owners should sacrifice anything. The closest to that anyone comes is saying "Millionaires and billionaires fighting over billions are both going to look awful here."
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2020, 05:54:09 PM »
Also, not sharing revenue was what the owners wanted when the money was rolling in. The players agreed to not base income on revenue. Well, that works both ways. The owners wanted to cut the players out of any increase in profits. So when they lose profit, it shouldn't come out of the players' pockets. That's how contracts work.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »
snell is spot on, why should he take less pay to actually play and not be able to see his family for however many months, all to make sure a freaking billionaire or whatever makes a few extra million while sitting on his derriere at home in a mansion with his family?

why should snell and his teammates risk any long term health effects for a fraction of their salary?

forreal, it sucks your wives are having to deal with this and whatever, but how the freak is that snell or the players problem? they are there to make money too, they just happen to be making more of it.

freak the owners, their greed is whats going to cost us the season in the end, not covid.

guinness77

• Shaun Ellis
  • Honkey chops
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2020, 07:56:50 PM »
They all make a lot of money to play a child’s sport so I don’t feel one iota of sorriness for either party. Almost every aspect of society has felt this, either emotionally or financially, so what makes them special? Because they can hit a baseball or throw a curve? freak all of them, they can make a little less money, just like the rest of us schlubs. Not sucking my own rooster, but I’m still working my derriere off through all this. No OT, no bartending gig, boo-hoo, right?

Thanks by the way, Alio. I definitely married up.

Miamipuck

• Puckstapo
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
They all make a lot of money to play a child’s sport so I don’t feel one iota of sorriness for either party. Almost every aspect of society has felt this, either emotionally or financially, so what makes them special? Because they can hit a baseball or throw a curve? freak all of them, they can make a little less money, just like the rest of us schlubs. Not sucking my own rooster, but I’m still working my derriere off through all this. No OT, no bartending gig, boo-hoo, right?

Thanks by the way, Alio. I definitely married up.

I am with you bro, right there.
<----Would you say Jetoffensive is a Flock, a Herd or a Gaggle of assholes? <-------- Would you like to know more!

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
i dont feel sorry for them either, but i'm also not going to expect them to go out and work and not get paid, just like i wouldnt expect you to.

its not just the dudes making 10 million a year who would suddenly make only 2-3 million. it's the dudes making minimum who are gonna be making 25% too.

people are mad at snell because of how he presented his argument, but he was on freaking twitch answering a question.

Tags: