Author Topic: 2019 NFL Combine  (Read 16864 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: 2019 NFL Combine
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »
Parris Campbell lit up his 40....4.32
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2019, 12:03:48 PM »
I have never understood why so much importance is attached to the 40, regardless of position. Take WR, a guy running the 40 in 4.35 has elite speed and a guy running it in 4.6 is mediocre to slow, but what real difference in a game situation does a quarter of a second make over a 40 yard straight line? That's a fraction over half a second difference to run the entire length of the field. There will be occasional scenarios in which that quarter second makes the difference between being tackled and not, or between getting enough separation to make a catch and not, but it seems to me that there are so many things that should matter more. The 40 gets all the headlines but I would have thought that the 3 cone is a way better indicator of a player's ability to separate.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
I have never understood why so much importance is attached to the 40, regardless of position. Take WR, a guy running the 40 in 4.35 has elite speed and a guy running it in 4.6 is mediocre to slow, but what real difference in a game situation does a quarter of a second make over a 40 yard straight line? That's a fraction over half a second difference to run the entire length of the field. There will be occasional scenarios in which that quarter second makes the difference between being tackled and not, or between getting enough separation to make a catch and not, but it seems to me that there are so many things that should matter more. The 40 gets all the headlines but I would have thought that the 3 cone is a way better indicator of a player's ability to separate.

https://twitter.com/ledyardnfldraft/status/1101870274016935937
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2019, 12:36:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/ledyardnfldraft/status/1101870274016935937

See, that's a great example of what I'm talking about. Chris Cooley ran 4.87 and he's a two time Pro Bowler. Dwayne Allen ran 4.89 and he's got a ring. (The first one I went to was Alge Crumpler because there was no way that freaking heifer ran sub 4.9, but astonishingly he did 4.76.) Jason Witten probably hasn't been capable of running a sub 5 second 40 in the past 7 or 8 years, but those are mostly his best ones. Writing a player off before he's even seen a snap in the NFL simply because he failed to hit an arbitrary value in a single physical test makes no sense to me, particularly in a position where straight line speed is far from essential.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 12:37:57 PM by Johnny English »
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
See, that's a great example of what I'm talking about. Chris Cooley ran 4.87 and he's a two time Pro Bowler. Dwayne Allen ran 4.89 and he's got a ring. (The first one I went to was Alge Crumpler because there was no way that freaking heifer ran sub 4.9, but astonishingly he did 4.76.) Jason Witten probably hasn't been capable of running a sub 5 second 40 in the past 7 or 8 years, but those are mostly his best ones. Writing a player off before he's even seen a snap in the NFL simply because he failed to hit an arbitrary value in a single physical test makes no sense to me, particularly in a position where straight line speed is far from essential.

Speed kills, and you can't teach it.

/argument
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »

So if you’re drafting a TE in the late rounds are you taking Nauta or a similar prospect that ran a 4.75?  You said a quarter of a second doesn’t really matter but you can actually visually see the difference when watching them run. Nauta looked stiff as hell and awkward.

Jordan Leggett ran a 4.71 at his Pro day. Not trying to acquire guys even slower than him.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2019, 12:51:24 PM »
Eric Tomlinson ran a 4.98 and it sure looks that way in-game

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2019, 01:07:14 PM »
Fant’s 3-come time was 6.81....very nice

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
There’s a QB prospect named Easton Stick?

Kid should’ve played hockey

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
Hakeem Butler and AJ Brown with sub-4.5 40s, great for them. N.Harry ran in 4.5’s , faster than i expected, which os also advantageous for him.

My boy Andy Isabella with a 4.56, ooof...he’s gonna have to improve on that.

Edit: Geeyotdaaamn, my other fave McLaurin with a sub 4.4, nice!

Edit edit: JFC, Metcalf with a mufuckin 4.33, are u serious??
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:06:53 PM by Gorilla »

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
2019 NFL Combine
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
DK Metcalf just ran a 4.33

He’s easily top 5 now.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
DK Metcalf just ran a 4.33

He’s easily top 5 now.

“With the 3rd pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...”

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2019, 02:10:38 PM »
“With the 3rd pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...”
Yes...Sam needs the DK

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »
Still would rather trade down but his combine performance is enough to put him in strong consideration at 3.

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2019, 02:18:06 PM »
Still would rather trade down but his combine performance is enough to put him in strong consideration at 3.
Totally agree.
DK has been my WR1 in this class, but id only be comfortable with him in a trade down....until this combine. I tend to not overreact to the individual drills, but he’s now in the Julio Jones-level athletic freakishness for the position (juuuust below the god-level tier of Calvin Johnson).
Let’s see bow he looks in he drills.

Id be stoked to get him at 3, even over a Josh Allen.

Tags: