Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2018 New York Yankees Thread  (Read 131973 times)

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
Re: The OFFICIAL 2018 New York Yankees Thread
« Reply #1680 on: November 01, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »
Baseball America’s top-10 #Yankees prospect rankings are out:
1. LHP Justus Sheffield
2. OF Estevan Florial
3. RHP Jonathan Loaisiga
4. OF Everson Pereira
5. C Anthony Seigler
6. RHP Mike King
7. RHP Deivi Garcia
8. RHP Roansy Contreras
9. OF Antonio Cabello
10. RHP Albert Abreu

Everson Pereira and Mike King with yuge jumps. Partially due to performance, partially due to prospect callups and trade.

Pereira was our #1 international signing prospect in 2016 and Mike King we got from the Garrett Cooper/Caleb Smith deal with the Marlins and he was filthy last year.

Like to see Seigler, the #1 draft pick this year highly thought of. Good to see Deivi Garcia and Roansy Contreras get their due.  Lower tier prospects for us that have pitched their way here. Contreras might be one of the best arms in our system now. Cabello was our #2 IFA Signing in 2017.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:22:41 PM by SixFeetDeep »
My dad always says he's undefeated at tailgating

Maybe it's not I who doesn't know what he's talking about

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1681 on: November 01, 2018, 12:26:17 PM »
That's an interesting list. Is it good or bad that Abreu went from near the top to the bottom?

I like Loiasiga enough, but if he's better than Abreu, that's not a good thing to me.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1682 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:02 PM »
How far away is Florial? Assuming Frazier comes back healthy, does Florial have a future with this team? The outfield is full, even if we discount Gardner in his final year, Ellsbury getting somewhat close to being gone, and Stanton being a DH. I don't see Hicks and Judge going anywhere.

Is Florial's best value to the team as a centerpiece to a trade for a starter?
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1683 on: November 01, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
while i dont buy it for a second, would yall rather have harper or hicks/frazier? harper is overpaid as freak, but still wicked good

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1684 on: November 01, 2018, 02:21:53 PM »
while i dont buy it for a second, would yall rather have harper or hicks/frazier? harper is overpaid as freak, but still wicked good

You'll probably see a lot of Yankees fans say "No way" to Harper, largely because of the contract and previous burns, but I'd take Harper every day and twice on Sunday. His power in Yankee Stadium 82 games a year (plus postseason)?

I don't think Harper is on the Yankees' radar at all though. Unless they (and he) seriously consider him to move to first. If he could play a manageable first, he'd be a huge signing.

But pitching has to be the overwhelming majority of the focus this offseason. This team, without Harper, or Frazier--or Judge and Sanchez for periods--hit more homers than any team in history. Machado is someone to keep an eye on, but if Gregorius didn't have Tommy John, I would think the Yankees would ignore him too.

IATA

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1685 on: November 01, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »
You'll probably see a lot of Yankees fans say "No way" to Harper, largely because of the contract and previous burns, but I'd take Harper every day and twice on Sunday. His power in Yankee Stadium 82 games a year (plus postseason)?

I don't think Harper is on the Yankees' radar at all though. Unless they (and he) seriously consider him to move to first. If he could play a manageable first, he'd be a huge signing.

But pitching has to be the overwhelming majority of the focus this offseason. This team, without Harper, or Frazier--or Judge and Sanchez for periods--hit more homers than any team in history. Machado is someone to keep an eye on, but if Gregorius didn't have Tommy John, I would think the Yankees would ignore him too.

most common thing i've seen regarding manny is moving him to 3rd, which would be interesting because he requested out of 3rd already and said he had no intention of moving back.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1686 on: November 01, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »
most common thing i've seen regarding manny is moving him to 3rd, which would be interesting because he requested out of 3rd already and said he had no intention of moving back.

Moving back to short last year made a lot of sense. There aren't many SS who can hit like him. It always felt like a free-agency play to me. His power at short overshadows power as a 3B.

Besides, he'd play short for the Yankees at least half the year while Gregorius is out. After that? There's always the possibility Didi doesn't even return next year, which could open the possibility that he never plays for the Yankees again.

The most likely scenario involving Manny and the Yankees is Machado signs, plays short for a few months, Didi returns, and Machado says "Look guys, I don't care where I'm playing, I'm the highest paid position player in the sport. Just keep signing my checks."

That's assuming the Yankees supposed decline in interest is for real. Which I don't believe.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1687 on: November 01, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
I thought Machado to the Phillies was pretty much agreed already?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1688 on: November 01, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
That's an interesting list. Is it good or bad that Abreu went from near the top to the bottom?

I like Loiasiga enough, but if he's better than Abreu, that's not a good thing to me.

It’s bad. He didn’t pitch much due to a few injuries, and his control was all out of whack when he did pitch.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1689 on: November 01, 2018, 06:51:14 PM »
How far away is Florial? Assuming Frazier comes back healthy, does Florial have a future with this team? The outfield is full, even if we discount Gardner in his final year, Ellsbury getting somewhat close to being gone, and Stanton being a DH. I don't see Hicks and Judge going anywhere.

Is Florial's best value to the team as a centerpiece to a trade for a starter?

Spring Training 2020 he should come in with a chance to win a starting OF job, ideally CF.  He’s a true CF but he has enough raw power to play corner OF, great fit for LF at Yankee Stadium. We have no idea what they’re gonna do with Hicks though, FA after this year. They should absolutely re-sign him, #12 MLB OF in WAR over the past 2 years, with a decent amount missed due to injury (and WAR is a cumulative stat)

He’s easily the best trade chip they have since he’s still far away. His upside is so high though that I would prefer to keep him outside of a package for an ace. 5 tool player with plus speed, power, and defense and crazy potential.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:53:51 PM by SixFeetDeep »

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1690 on: November 01, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
I thought Machado to the Phillies was pretty much agreed already?

He’s been rumored to the Phillies for a long time now. Outside of the Yankees (who some rumor aren’t interested) there doesn’t seem to be a huge market for him. Maybe if/when his asking price comes down. His postseason antics should hurt his earning potential.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1691 on: November 01, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »

I love both Hicks and Frazier, but I wouldn’t pass on a player like Harper for them. I also don’t love his contract demands. I would rather pay our homegrown guys down the road.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1692 on: November 02, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
Harper's getting a qualifying offer from the Nationals today. That conversation can end now.

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #1693 on: November 02, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Spring Training 2020 he should come in with a chance to win a starting OF job, ideally CF.  He’s a true CF but he has enough raw power to play corner OF, great fit for LF at Yankee Stadium. We have no idea what they’re gonna do with Hicks though, FA after this year. They should absolutely re-sign him, #12 MLB OF in WAR over the past 2 years, with a decent amount missed due to injury (and WAR is a cumulative stat)

He’s easily the best trade chip they have since he’s still far away. His upside is so high though that I would prefer to keep him outside of a package for an ace. 5 tool player with plus speed, power, and defense and crazy potential.

The only thing I would trade any prospects for this offseason is ace pitching. I'd even rather see Bird play first again than trade for position players/bats. I only bring up trading Florial for the exact reason you mention, he's easily the best trade chip in the organization not named Sheffield. It just happens that he also plays a position where there is already depth, at least in the near term.

SixFeetDeep

• Global Moderator
  • Don Maynard
  • uttah disastuh
« Reply #1694 on: November 02, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
The only thing I would trade any prospects for this offseason is ace pitching. I'd even rather see Bird play first again than trade for position players/bats. I only bring up trading Florial for the exact reason you mention, he's easily the best trade chip in the organization not named Sheffield. It just happens that he also plays a position where there is already depth, at least in the near term.

I think the biggest issue, and I’m sure you’ll agree, is the availability of the SP. there's not exactly any aces on the trade market. I’m not overpaying for a guy like Fulmer, John Gray, etc.

This is usually the type of situation that Cashman pulls a trade out of his derriere and lands someone desirable that no one was thinking of. We could really use that this offseason.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:08:46 PM by SixFeetDeep »