Author Topic: NY Jets draft and reconstruction  (Read 113007 times)

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
Re: NY Jets draft and reconstruction
« Reply #1005 on: January 18, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
Three first rounders seems like it’ll be the starting price. Hopefully adding Darnold and a couple of other picks would help give one of the first rounders back to us.

3 first rounders should BE the price....remember, he's also coming with 150 mil dollar contract. 
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

reuben

• Al Toon
  • Hello, my name is Reuben.
« Reply #1006 on: January 18, 2021, 09:58:55 AM »
I admire your enthusiasm...but there's no way JD gives up 5 first round picks for Watson. 

There's no precedent for this kind of trade.  The only thing remotely close is Jay Cutler, who sucks, and that cost the Bears two firsts, a third, and Orton. 

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1007 on: January 18, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
There's no precedent for this kind of trade.  The only thing remotely close is Jay Cutler, who sucks, and that cost the Bears two firsts, a third, and Orton. 

3 first rounders the Jets could handle....hell, throw in Darnold too. But anything more than that and you're now entering "mortgaging the future" territory.

I want Watson like the rest of you....but you still need to be able to build the rest of the team.
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1008 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »

I'd happily trade Kyle Orton to the Texans for Watson.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1009 on: January 18, 2021, 11:05:41 AM »
3 first rounders the Jets could handle....hell, throw in Darnold too. But anything more than that and you're now entering "mortgaging the future" territory.

I want Watson like the rest of you....but you still need to be able to build the rest of the team.
Yeah, let's calm down on five 1st-round picks. Nobody is going to offer that. And we have the #2 pick, which is not your average 1st-round pick.

Nobody else can offer three 1st-round picks in the next two seasons, including the #2 overall pick. Someone would need to offer four 1sts just to compete, unless the Texans are hell-bent on keeping him out of the AFC.

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #1010 on: January 18, 2021, 12:00:49 PM »

Even if the price is 4 first round picks (two this year, one in 2022, and one in 2023), their future isn't nearly jeopardized. That Jamal trade really makes this doable and palatable. The Jets would still have a full draft class this year if you consider Watson their pseudo 1st round choice. They'd have a full draft class the in 2022, and just missing their 1st in 2023- which you hope by then with the addition on Watson would be in the latter half of the 1st round.

5 first is a ton, but it's still survivable. What's not really survivable is getting the QB wrong again, or wasting more time on Darnold just for him to continue to play poorly. We all love draft picks here and discussing possibilities, but they are just a lottery ticket to a certain extent. Half of this team's 1st round picks of the past decade have been complete trash.

As Heis said, whatever it takes. Miami's interest should play a large role in how much JD is willing to give up.

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1011 on: January 18, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »
If any of those offers were enough to get Watson and we didn't do it, JD should be thrown out on the street.

It will likely cost more unless Watson exercises the no-trade clause to the point it's one team bidding against itself.

Hopefully his relationship in Houston continues to deteriorate and for whatever reason he decides he wants to be a Jet.
Need a new one for a new board...

Derek Smalls

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1012 on: January 18, 2021, 01:37:12 PM »
Even if the price is 4 first round picks (two this year, one in 2022, and one in 2023), their future isn't nearly jeopardized. That Jamal trade really makes this doable and palatable. The Jets would still have a full draft class this year if you consider Watson their pseudo 1st round choice. They'd have a full draft class the in 2022, and just missing their 1st in 2023- which you hope by then with the addition on Watson would be in the latter half of the 1st round.

5 first is a ton, but it's still survivable. What's not really survivable is getting the QB wrong again, or wasting more time on Darnold just for him to continue to play poorly. We all love draft picks here and discussing possibilities, but they are just a lottery ticket to a certain extent. Half of this team's 1st round picks of the past decade have been complete trash.

As Heis said, whatever it takes. Miami's interest should play a large role in how much JD is willing to give up.
Pretty much agree with this. Now granted, there is a limit, and five firsts exceeds that limit for me. But until we either get a QB or build up a great roster, we're treading water. The draft picks can be used to help build up a great roster, or they can be used to address QB with a known commodity. I would prefer that option.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1013 on: January 18, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »
It would be nice, so it won't happen.  We can't have nice things.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1014 on: January 18, 2021, 02:31:54 PM »
I probably love the draft more than anybody here.  If we have to overspend to get Deshaun Watson here so he doesn't go to Miami, so be it. 

25 year old franchise quarterback are not shopped.  It's unheard of.

NFL players will line up to play with Watson.  It's a franchise altering move. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1015 on: January 18, 2021, 02:55:40 PM »
I probably love the draft more than anybody here.  If we have to overspend to get Deshaun Watson here so he doesn't go to Miami, so be it. 

This. I cannot repeat this enough. If he is on the market he has the chance to be worth virtually anything we could pay.

It becomes extremely critical that we get whatever remaining picks we have correct, but if this guy is available you do anything you can to get him
Need a new one for a new board...

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #1016 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:22 PM »

Where in the draft would we get Deshaun Watson? We don't.

Any time a star player is traded, what you give up or think you're getting back is irrelevant. It never matches the star player, particularly if he's in his prime. A team makes a decision to either keep or part with a star player, whatever you might get back is window dressing.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Coach K

• Shaun Ellis
« Reply #1017 on: January 18, 2021, 04:05:42 PM »

Yeah I've laid the case out plenty in the LOLTexans thread

If JD is worth a lick in the draft dept.  Excess capital being spent to leverage into a top 3 QB in his prime should be laughably easy to workaround

Not.the other way around.  It'd be egotistical and moronic to assume you'd make better use of all that capital and hit on 100% of every pick

Watson turns this into a destination

Who do you want

Because they'll run to NY to play with Watson

That alone makes up for any draft capital

A guarantee >>>a hope

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #1018 on: January 18, 2021, 04:11:31 PM »
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1019 on: January 18, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
The flipside to that is that we're going to need draft picks over the next couple of years in that situation, because Watson plus a couple of these elite FAs who are desperate to play with him will quickly chew up most of our available cap space, especially in a couple of years when we have guys like Q and Becton who are needing to get paid.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Tags: