Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 191274 times)

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1740 on: November 29, 2022, 03:40:10 PM »
It's time for these guys to stop making new music...and just tour around playing music from their 1st four albums.

I have not yet heard the new song and I look forward to it, I'm a Metallica fan.

I'll give MBG the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant "1st five albums", since the self titled black album is a classic. Counting to 5 can be hard when blasting opinions on a forum, it's all good brother.

I think they have put out some good songs in the 30 years since then, but that's me.
IMO, it's Master, then RTL, then the black album.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #1741 on: November 29, 2022, 03:41:51 PM »
I have not yet heard the new song and I look forward to it, I'm a Metallica fan.

I'll give MBG the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant "1st five albums", since the self titled black album is a classic. Counting to 5 can be hard when blasting opinions on a forum, it's all good brother.

I think they have put out some good songs in the 30 years since then, but that's me.
IMO, it's Master, then RTL, then the black album.

I like you. (Justice > Lightning though.)
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #1742 on: November 29, 2022, 03:48:07 PM »

Haha, I can appreciate that argument, I love Justice.

But Fade to Black is my favorite Metallica song (one of my all-time favorite songs too), plus For whom the Bell Tolls AND Creeping Death? I give that the edge. But "One" may be my second favorite. and "Blackened" is incredible. It's a close call.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1743 on: November 29, 2022, 03:58:38 PM »
Only thing I hated about Justice was the sound mix, it was really trebley, very little bass.  They remastered it though, so it's a bit better.  Monster tunes though. Harvester of Sorrow was my fave.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1744 on: November 29, 2022, 04:00:36 PM »
Justice is a better showcase of talent but RTL is better composed.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #1745 on: November 29, 2022, 04:02:24 PM »
No love for Kill Em All....you guys disappoint me
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Gorilla

• Gary's Vaynerchuk
  • Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #1746 on: November 29, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »
Harvester of Sorrow was my fave.

Hell yes, great song. Dudes just churn out phenomenal riffs at will.

Bro, I love Kill 'Em All!
The fact that i personally rank it 5 out of their first 5 shows how awesome I think they are. It's a great metal album, no damn doubt.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:07:32 PM by Gorilla »

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #1747 on: November 29, 2022, 04:06:23 PM »
Harvester of Sorrow should be the Jets theme song because that's all they do. Harvest our sorrow

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1748 on: November 29, 2022, 04:08:38 PM »

Gorilla said the first 5 albums.
The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1749 on: November 29, 2022, 04:27:21 PM »
Wrong

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #1750 on: November 29, 2022, 04:28:57 PM »
Justice is a better showcase of talent
You can't hear the bass on Justice and one third of the audibly remaining musicians is Lars Ulrich.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1751 on: November 29, 2022, 04:32:04 PM »
Only thing I hated about Justice was the sound mix, it was really trebley, very little bass.  They remastered it though, so it's a bit better.  Monster tunes though. Harvester of Sorrow was my fave.

There's a remastering you can find on Youtube called And Justice For Jason..... which has the bass elevated in the mix to where it perhaps should have been. It's definitely worth listening to.

Edit: here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kqTcLwUYj8&ab_channel=josh10177
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:37:46 PM by Johnny English »

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1752 on: November 29, 2022, 04:36:12 PM »
Haha, I can appreciate that argument, I love Justice.

But Fade to Black is my favorite Metallica song (one of my all-time favorite songs too), plus For whom the Bell Tolls AND Creeping Death? I give that the edge. But "One" may be my second favorite. and "Blackened" is incredible. It's a close call.

I would also have Death Magnetic in my top 5 Metallica albums, because I am not a Metallica hipster who decided that they'd sold out with Black and refused to listen to anything they did subsequently. Death was the sound of a band who'd recovered from all the ills they were struggling with during Anger, embraced their position as former pioneers who were now elder statesmen of the scene, really found happiness working with each other and their new bassist, and made a balls out heavy metal album with no thoughts of what other people thought they should or should not be doing or sounding like. No, it doesn't sound like it was recorded in an abandoned factory in Queens, but it isn't supposed to. They've been there and done that.

Anyway, new song. Ace. Maybe the best James's voice has ever sounded.

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #1753 on: November 29, 2022, 04:46:57 PM »
I don't think they sold out with the Black Album but I also don't think Death Magnetic is anything noteworthy.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #1754 on: November 29, 2022, 05:04:53 PM »
I don't think they sold out with the Black Album but I also don't think Death Magnetic is anything noteworthy.

It's not a perfect album, but the production is good, the writing and musicianship is tight, there are no real stinkers on it, and the high points (All Nightmare Long, The Day That Never Comes, Broken Beat and Scarred) are brilliant. It was the album that said that they were through their awkward middle phase and ready to start making awesome music again.