Author Topic: Jets Draft Position  (Read 44604 times)

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
Re: Jets Draft Position
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2014, 11:45:09 PM »
Yes, I can.  Next year's potential QB class is much better than this one. 

I'm not worried about the QB being successful immediately.  I'm worried about him being successful for a long period of time.  If he comes into a bad situation, like the one we have now, there's high bust potential...especially with a system QB. 

I'm not expecting a rookie QB to be successful.  I just don't want a player that has shown no signs of development in a system that's made him. 

Next years crop is always better... It happens every year. In 2012, everyone was talking about Landry Jones, Logan Thomas, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson. In 2013, Teddy Bridgewater was a cant miss prospect, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger were all looked at as solid prospects that could land in the first round. Last year, Winston was the hands down best prospect in the class, Petty, Hundley were both thought of highly. Now Im not saying you in particular, but each year the draft community everywhere is so interested in the class next year, specifically for QBs, and every year many of those QBs never live up to expectations

I just have a hard time looking to next year. If there's a QB who's available at the pick that has a shot at being an above average player, Id have a hard time passing

The Seahawks got a guy that was immediately ready.  Derek Carr was ready to go from day one as well.

The Seahawks struck gold. No one knew what Wilson would be, and no team can count on striking gold at QB with any pick outside of the top half of the first round. In the past 10 years, Rodgers and Wilson are about the only QBs that have turned out to be good players that werent top 16 picks.

I cant really speak to Carr- its still too early IMO and I havent watched him.

As for Amari Cooper- I like him a lot, but Im not sure he's a top 4-5 talent. Id honestly rather trade back for Kevin White. If we end up reaching (or what appears like reaching in my eyes), Id rather reach for the most important position in all of sports. I havent watched any of the OTs so I cant really form much an opinion on them yet...

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2014, 06:31:59 AM »
Nobody thought 2013 was going to be better than 2012.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »

Next years crop is always better... It happens every year. In 2012, everyone was talking about Landry Jones, Logan Thomas, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson. In 2013, Teddy Bridgewater was a cant miss prospect, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger were all looked at as solid prospects that could land in the first round. Last year, Winston was the hands down best prospect in the class, Petty, Hundley were both thought of highly. Now Im not saying you in particular, but each year the draft community everywhere is so interested in the class next year, specifically for QBs, and every year many of those QBs never live up to expectations

I just have a hard time looking to next year. If there's a QB who's available at the pick that has a shot at being an above average player, Id have a hard time passing

he Seahawks struck gold. No one knew what Wilson would be, and no team can count on striking gold at QB with any pick outside of the top half of the first round. In the past 10 years, Rodgers and Wilson are about the only QBs that have turned out to be good players that werent top 16 picks.

I cant really speak to Carr- its still too early IMO and I havent watched him

Now we're lowering the bar to above average player?  That's all it will take for us to draft a QB in the top 6 and ignore guys with more talent?

You guys want to know a secret? This isn't Ancient Greece.  Guys aren't going to do well in the NFL simply because it is their fate to do so. Quarterbacks develop or do not develop based upon the coaching they receive and how well they fit into a system.  Colin Kaepernick was about as raw a prospect there could be, he didn't deserve to go in the first round because 90% of coaches would have gotten nothing out if him. Harbaugh fixed him. It's that simple.

It's more true with QBs than any other position because the mental side of the game is far more significant. We've seen guys crumble based upon that alone (it's why I short changed Derek Carr last year). That's why when you look at prospects, you want the guys who have the quickest road to get to respectability as a player. I see things comparing Mariota to Kaepernick and I think that's not good at all for Mariota. I see Jameis making consistent freshman mistakes and I think that's not good for Jameis.

Could those guys turn into good players?  Of course. Physically there is nothing wrong with Jameis, he could be Big Ben. But unless you have a great offensive staff it won't happen. Guys don't just get better at the QB position, people make them better.

That brings us to coaching. Everything depends on the guys we bring in. Do I think that either it worth it in the top ten? No, but I'd feel a lot better if we bring in an offensive staff with a pedigree doing something with quarterbacks.

My hope would be that instead of rushing to get a QB, they spend a year developing and evaluating talent, and see what they have for 2016 so they aren't just tossing a young QB into a roster they don't yet understand.

Do people overhype the following year's class? Yeah, of course. They are projecting guys to hit a certain level of development. I can recall a conversation between E and I on here where I was praising Mariota's raw skill at the beginning of last season, and E basically said we'll see if he gets any better. He didn't. And he still hasn't.

Those guys in next year's class could bomb out, but I'll tell you that several of them have the potential, if they develop, to show everything they need to go top ten/five/whatever. We project, they try to reach the mark. I put Logan #1 back when he showed flashes as a sophomore. I knew Logan fell apart as a junior, so I didn't keep him as the top guy. I dropped him to the 2/3 round in my mind, figuring he could snap out of it. He didn't, so he dropped again. The problem comes in when people never adjust their evaluation because they just assume they were projected because they are can't miss.

As for Amari Cooper- I like him a lot, but Im not sure he's a top 4-5 talent. Id honestly rather trade back for Kevin White. If we end up reaching (or what appears like reaching in my eyes), Id rather reach for the most important position in all of sports. I havent watched any of the OTs so I cant really form much an opinion on them yet...

What's wrong with Amari?  I see a lot of people say that he's overrated, yet rarely do they give a reason.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
What's wrong with Amari?  I see a lot of people say that he's overrated, yet rarely do they give a reason.

I wouldn't have any problem with taking Amari with our first pick but I kind of understand the mindset that he's not worth that pick. They just don't see a dominant WR in him, like Andre, Fitz, Megatron, Green, etc.

Of course we don't really know how good he'll turn out to be but I'd happily grab him since he'd be our #1 and the first true #1 guy we've had in a long time.

Cane

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »

I wouldn't have any problem with taking Amari with our first pick but I kind of understand the mindset that he's not worth that pick. They just don't see a dominant WR in him, like Andre, Fitz, Megatron, Green, etc.

It's honestly the kind of thing people say when they don't know what they're talking about. They have to give me specifics other than "eh, I've seen better."  I see speed, size, strength, acceleration, hands, routes. Everything. He's not 6'3, but this isn't 2003 when 1st round meant only taking the guys who were 6'4, 210. This kid is a more physically gifted version of Reggie Wayne, a guy who has caught 1,000 balls in his career. He could bust, I just think he's a high ceiling, high floor player.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
It's honestly the kind of thing people say when they don't know what they're talking about. They have to give me specifics other than "eh, I've seen better."  I see speed, size, strength, acceleration, hands, routes. Everything. He's not 6'3, but this isn't 2003 when 1st round meant only taking the guys who were 6'4, 210. This kid is a more physically gifted version of Reggie Wayne, a guy who has caught 1,000 balls in his career. He could bust, I just think he's a high ceiling, high floor player.

Well put. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be disappointed that we took Cooper. Unless Winston somehow delivers a performance over the next two games so great that it eliminates all doubt, but I'm not expecting that.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
No, but there is a guarantee that there will be better NFL talent available.

Hackenberg isn't even top five in that class for me, but he still has a chance to be a very good prospect. 

Jared Goff
Connor Cook
Gunner Kiel
Jeremy Johnson
Trevone Boykin
Cody Kessler
Will Gardner
Wes Lunt
Nate Sudfeld
John Robertson
Jacoby Brissett
Jacob Coker

This mindset got us Geno Smith. 

we need to draft Gunner Kiel based on name alone
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »

I was a massive proponent of taking a WR ever since Dez came out and have been hoping for a legitimate one ever since. I do like Cooper a lot, but I preferred Sammy and Evans (as Im pretty sure you have said as well). I think he's got most of the total package, but Im just not sure if he can play the big game as a WR. I need to go back and see how he does with contested balls.

Beckham was smaller, but he could still play the big game and come down with contested balls... Thats why Steve Smith was one of my comparisons during last year.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
we need to draft Gunner Kiel based on name alone
Wasn't he the lead singer in Nelson?

Pwwwcheeee!!!

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
I was a massive proponent of taking a WR ever since Dez came out and have been hoping for a legitimate one ever since. I do like Cooper a lot, but I preferred Sammy and Evans (as Im pretty sure you have said as well). I think he's got most of the total package, but Im just not sure if he can play the big game as a WR. I need to go back and see how he does with contested balls.

Beckham was smaller, but he could still play the big game and come down with contested balls... Thats why Steve Smith was one of my comparisons during last year.

...the big game? 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »
Now we're lowering the bar to above average player?  That's all it will take for us to draft a QB in the top 6 and ignore guys with more talent?

That brings us to coaching. Everything depends on the guys we bring in. Do I think that either it worth it in the top ten? No, but I'd feel a lot better if we bring in an offensive staff with a pedigree doing something with quarterbacks.

My hope would be that instead of rushing to get a QB, they spend a year developing and evaluating talent, and see what they have for 2016 so they aren't just tossing a young QB into a roster they don't yet understand.

Whos an above average QB in the NFL? Id consider Romo, Rivers, Ben, Cam and probably Matt Ryan and Stafford above average QBs... I think you can win a SB with these type of players. Obviously Id love for a Peyton, Luck or Rodgers, but thats like drafting a DE and expecting him to be JJ Watt. Having a good QB is just about as valuable as any other player aside from some very few elites.

I 100% agree on the coaching aspect. That has basically been my whole argument- the coach will dictate my stance on if we should draft a QB. If the right coach comes in here and thinks Mariota or Winston is there guy, Id be okay with that. For instance, if Harbaugh comes here and wants Mariota, Id full support that. Developing talent largely lies on the HC, and thats why I think Rex has to go.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
Wasn't he the lead singer in Nelson?

Pwwwcheeee!!!

"Afterrrr the Rain"

Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Laxin

• Chad Pennington
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
...the big game?

Like the bigger bodied game- make contested catches, be a red zone threat, go over the middle... Dez Bryant is essentially the epitome of this. OBJ has been doing a great job at this too even being a small guy. Ive only seen a few Bama games this year so I have to go back and watch more of Amari, and this is the one thing I'll be wanting to see.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »
Like the bigger bodied game- make contested catches, be a red zone threat, go over the middle... Dez Bryant is essentially the epitome of this. OBJ has been doing a great job at this too even being a small guy. Ive only seen a few Bama games this year so I have to go back and watch more of Amari, and this is the one thing I'll be wanting to see.

He destroys people on RZ fade routes

And he goes over the middle consistently.  The kid caught 115 passes playing the majority of his games against SEC opponents.
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
"Afterrrr the Rain"

Can't live withooooout yo' luuuuuv!!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:53:17 AM by bojanglesman »

Tags: jets