Author Topic: The New York Jets are officially eliminated from playoff contention  (Read 16545 times)

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
Re: The New York Jets are officially eliminated from playoff contention
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »
Can we rent a front office staff from Home Depot until we get a QB?

We'll be up on the clock, looking around for someone in an orange vest to make the pick and not finding anyone.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

bojanglesman

• Don Maynard
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2014, 12:33:14 PM »
We'll be up on the clock, looking around for someone in an orange vest to make the pick and not finding anyone.
Haha.  True.

"Pete from lumber said he was coming down to help.  WTF Pete?!?!"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:34:46 PM by bojanglesman »

AlioTheFool

• Administrator
  • Al Toon
  • All Gas. No Brake.
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
I've had this thought, and as I tend to draw comparisons from recent history I think of the offseason following 2007. That's the closest comparison I can draw for this situation.

Mangini and Tannenbaum were both under pressure after going 4-12. The 2006 playoff berth bought them credit that the Rex/Idzik combo doesn't have right now. Also, the 2006 and 2007 drafts were worlds better than 2013 and 2014. In the 2008 offseason, we brought in Faneca, Woody, Jenkins, Pace, Keller, and then Favre. Obviously it didn't work out for Mangini, but Tannenbaum certainly provided him with talent.

So if Idzik actually managed to bring in some decent talent, it would probably be on Rex to produce and save both their asses with a playoff berth.

My guts says that if they both got another year we'd just be postponing the inevitable.

There is a part of me that agrees with you, which is why I've used the "scorched earth" term quite a few times lately.

The question Woody has to ask himself is whether he (and his advisers) believe Rex is a top-notch head coach and has been continuously hampered by depleted rosters. If so, he warrants one more chance--with significant input into personnel decisions. If not, then Johnson should clean house, install an entirely new front office, and let the next GM decide who the next coach should be.

Rex has clout that Mangini didn't have: a fiercely loyal locker room. People can talk all they want about him, but the only other time I can remember a team being so loyal to a coach despite losing was Jim Fassel with the Giants.

In the end, I would like to see one more year of Rex. However, if Woody goes with the housecleaning option I won't loudly object.
Teams that draft well do so no matter where they pick. Teams that draft poorly do so no matter where they pick I want my team to win games and draft well

MexJetinBcn

• Vinny Testaverde
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
Another day after the season move made by emotion and not reason.

Not really, there were numerous reports that Mangini had lost the locker room and essentially nobody in the organization could stand him anymore.

Italian Seafood

• Al Toon
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Not really, there were numerous reports that Mangini had lost the locker room and essentially nobody in the organization could stand him anymore.

You might be right. I just look at the record and see we finished 9-7 after being 8-3 before Favre was clearly injured. Mangini was in a tough spot, because he had seen Clemens and was probably correct in letting Favre try to tough it out. Seeing Chad come back and walk out of our place with the division title had to be the last straw, if we had won another game or two I can't see how they would have fired Mangini regardless of who didn't like him.
So it turns out, Italian Seafood was right an everyone can go freak themselves.

Tags: jets