Author Topic: Good Movies  (Read 466975 times)

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
Re: Good Movies
« Reply #4320 on: September 15, 2022, 02:54:10 PM »
I'm amazed that you enjoy the tailgate experience. Being surrounded by people must be agony for you....how do you survive?

In what way is a situation that exists for the entire purpose of people talking to each other and making noise the same as one that requires the exact opposite?
A cross-dressing limey poofter

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
  • Chest hair for miles and miles.
« Reply #4321 on: September 15, 2022, 03:40:03 PM »
In what way is a situation that exists for the entire purpose of people talking to each other and making noise the same as one that requires the exact opposite?
You literally just complained about being surrounded by people
Quote from: bojanglesman
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

CatoTheElder

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #4322 on: September 15, 2022, 04:05:28 PM »
Enjoying things in a community setting is fun. Being scared with other people is fun. If the theater was full of people talking about things not involving the movie then I would be upset, but that's not what we are talking about here.

The New Jersey Devil keeps knocking over my trashcans at night and taking out credit cards in my name.

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4323 on: September 15, 2022, 04:53:29 PM »
You literally just complained about being surrounded by people

No I didn't, and you're not quite that dumb unless you choose to be. I said that I don't like the theatre because the best that people can do is not ruin the experience, and they often fail to meet that bar. I didn't complain about anything because I know that if I go to the theatre that's what I'm signing up for, and I don't like it so I don't do it.

Enjoying things in a community setting is fun. Being scared with other people is fun. If the theater was full of people talking about things not involving the movie then I would be upset, but that's not what we are talking about here.

Enjoying some things in a community setting is fun for sure, like sport or music, but movies are different. Other people's laughter or surprise or worst of all commentary are not enhancements IMO, quite the opposite. But even take other people out of the equation and there's a whole bunch of other reasons why the theatre is worse than watching at home. 20 years ago when 50" screens and 5.1 were the preserve of rappers and football players then maybe, but top quality home theatre equipment is in most people's homes these days. The sole, single reason for going to the theatre in my world is to see a movie that I care enough about seeing without risk of it being spoiled, and I generally don't care enough about any new releases for that to bother me. I think the last one I went to see for that reason was the first one in the last Star Wars trilogy.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #4324 on: September 15, 2022, 05:02:42 PM »
No I didn't, and you're not quite that dumb unless you choose to be. I said that I don't like the theatre because the best that people can do is not ruin the experience, and they often fail to meet that bar. I didn't complain about anything because I know that if I go to the theatre that's what I'm signing up for, and I don't like it so I don't do it.

Enjoying some things in a community setting is fun for sure, like sport or music, but movies are different. Other people's laughter or surprise or worst of all commentary are not enhancements IMO, quite the opposite. But even take other people out of the equation and there's a whole bunch of other reasons why the theatre is worse than watching at home. 20 years ago when 50" screens and 5.1 were the preserve of rappers and football players then maybe, but top quality home theatre equipment is in most people's homes these days. The sole, single reason for going to the theatre in my world is to see a movie that I care enough about seeing without risk of it being spoiled, and I generally don't care enough about any new releases for that to bother me. I think the last one I went to see for that reason was the first one in the last Star Wars trilogy.

So...you're OK with crowds when it fits your narrative. Got it.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 05:04:59 PM by MBGreen »
"Hello good sir GM, may we pretty please have your throwaway centers and gords please??!?  I'll suck yo'dick!"

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4325 on: September 15, 2022, 05:17:39 PM »
So...you're OK with crowds when it fits your narrative. Got it.

I'm OK with crowds when it's appropriate to the situation, yes.

I get that lots of people like watching movies with others, that's fine. It's not for me.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #4326 on: September 15, 2022, 05:27:16 PM »
Comedies are infinitely better with a crowd.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #4327 on: September 15, 2022, 06:04:56 PM »
Agreed.

Went with a bunch of buddies to both Superbad and Borat.  So much more fun.

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #4328 on: September 16, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »
Cato...you need to watch Meet The Deedles. Paul Walker's finest work, and your boy Robert Englund is in it too.

d sw0rdz

• Shaun Ellis
  • I'm Chad Pennington
« Reply #4329 on: September 16, 2022, 08:48:43 AM »

i often find myself thinking about the psychology with attending live comedies. you go into a show/movie/event thinking things will be said for the purpose of being funny, and i feel that often means that a rather mundane comment/joke will become funnier than it actually is, and you laugh. then, there is a live 'peer pressure' component of others around you laughing at things that may not be that funny, but because the others are perceiving it as funny, you'll end up joining in and laughing too. maybe there is a fomo component to that.

i say this because i often watch live comedies on my TV by myself, and i don't be laughing at the excrement other people be laughing at, and i wonder why. when it comes to comedies/jokes i don't think i'm that hard to please

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #4330 on: September 16, 2022, 09:52:53 AM »
i often find myself thinking about the psychology with attending live comedies. you go into a show/movie/event thinking things will be said for the purpose of being funny, and i feel that often means that a rather mundane comment/joke will become funnier than it actually is, and you laugh. then, there is a live 'peer pressure' component of others around you laughing at things that may not be that funny, but because the others are perceiving it as funny, you'll end up joining in and laughing too. maybe there is a fomo component to that.

i say this because i often watch live comedies on my TV by myself, and i don't be laughing at the excrement other people be laughing at, and i wonder why. when it comes to comedies/jokes i don't think i'm that hard to please

Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Louis CK

these are the only comics i'll watch that make me laugh on my own.

Badger

• Global Moderator
  • Joe Namath
  • The only one who's not a piece of excrement
« Reply #4331 on: September 17, 2022, 06:09:12 AM »

Watching comedy alone yields a lot of "that made me exhale a burst of air through my nose."

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
« Reply #4332 on: September 21, 2022, 12:10:00 AM »

I don't get it, either. The entire first act was just a generic thriller horror movie and the twist was a massive LOL moment. I think it's just people who like camp a little too much.

Watched it tonight. Objectively it's terrible - the script is hackneyed, the plot holes are ridiculous, the acting is awful. Damn if I didn't find myself liking it though, it was a love letter to Cronenberg.

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #4333 on: September 21, 2022, 09:23:47 AM »
Dave Chappelle
Bill Burr
Louis CK

these are the only comics i'll watch that make me laugh on my own.

Unfortunately, two of those three are terrible humans
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

MBGreen

• Indian Death Lock
  • Administrator
  • Curtis Martin
« Reply #4334 on: September 21, 2022, 09:36:39 AM »
Unfortunately, two of those three are terrible humans

I've already forgiven them