Author Topic: STL QB Sam Bradford re-tears ACL (out for season)  (Read 9619 times)

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
Re: STL QB Sam Bradford re-tears ACL (out for season)
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
Because it shows we actually value our free agent signings and aren't simply going to spin them off to get ANYTHING in return like JE was suggesting.  And we should care because we don't want free agents to hesitate before signing with us because we've demonstrated a willingness to sell FAs off a few months later.

Vick is a back-up, and he wants to start.  I could understand if we were talking about Decker, or CJ, but in this case, we are actually helping Vick.  IMO, This could easily be spun as a positive for future signings.

I see your point, though.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
So you think Vick signed here because he wanted us to determine his next landing place?  Or do you think maybe the high profile FA who opted to come here may want to say for himself whether a starting job is a better fit for him?

If he doesn't want to start, I don't want him here.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
If he doesn't want to start, I don't want him here.

There's a difference between wanting to start and wanting to start in St. Louis and learn yet another new system with a whopping week until the season starts.  The guy's not some up and coming young player.  He's been a starter in the league for years.  It's a balance between wanting to start and wanting the right situation.

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »
Vick is a back-up, and he wants to start.  I could understand if we were talking about Decker, or CJ, but in this case, we are actually helping Vick.  IMO, This could easily be spun as a positive for future signings.

I see your point, though.

How does this get spun as a positive for future signings?  "Hey, if you sign here and you don't win the starting job, don't worry.  We'll actively try to ship you off somewhere else that you probably didn't want to sign with in the first place!"  Man, what a win!

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
There's a difference between wanting to start and wanting to start in St. Louis and learn yet another new system with a whopping week until the season starts.  The guy's not some up and coming young player.  He's been a starter in the league for years.  It's a balance between wanting to start and wanting the right situation.

No, there isn't. 

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
How does this get spun as a positive for future signings?  "Hey, if you sign here and you don't win the starting job, don't worry.  We'll actively try to ship you off somewhere else that you probably didn't want to sign with in the first place!"  Man, what a win!

Who said anything about actively trying to ship him off? 

Vick didn't have a chance to sign anywhere he could be a starter, he signed on with his old coach as a back up to a player that struggled last year. 

Libero_2

• Mark Gastineau
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

I think the party line would be this "Even though you didn't win the starting job for us, we value you as a backup and depth player for this roster. That said, you have an opportunity to start elsewhere, and even though keeping you here would be better for us right now than giving you up, we won't stand in the way of your opportunity to start in the league."

That sounds like a good company line to me.

That said why would St. Louis want Vick anyways?
Need a new one for a new board...

Ignatius J Reilly

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 04:35:52 PM »

Who said anything about actively trying to ship him off? 

Vick didn't have a chance to sign anywhere he could be a starter, he signed on with his old coach as a back up to a player that struggled last year.

Thank you for supporting my point about reasons for wanting to be in New York.  You're nuts if you think a vet with a secure job and still a chance to start is desperate to trade that all for a week with a play book in a foreign system.  He wouldn't even be starting Week One over Shaun Hill at this point.

Ignatius J Reilly

STL QB Sam Bradford re-tears ACL (out for season)
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
I think the party line would be this "Even though you didn't win the starting job for us, we value you as a backup and depth player for this roster. That said, you have an opportunity to start elsewhere, and even though keeping you here would be better for us right now than giving you up, we won't stand in the way of your opportunity to start in the league."

That sounds like a good company line to me.

That said why would St. Louis want Vick anyways?

EXACTLY.  That's the line that goes hand in hand with trying to get good compensation for him.  Make the guy feel valued as a sign to other free agents.  Also gives him a choice, which is exactly what he had less than 6 months ago when he came here.

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 04:46:28 PM »
Thank you for supporting my point about reasons for wanting to be in New York.  You're nuts if you think a vet with a secure job and still a chance to start is desperate to trade that all for a week with a play book in a foreign system.  He wouldn't even be starting Week One over Shaun Hill at this point.

What?  He had a choice to come here to be a back up or go some where else as a back up.  So yeah, I understand why he chose NY.  However, given an opportunity to start versus a back up, he takes the starting gig. 

Why would he not start if he was traded to St. Louis?  Even with just a week under his belt, he is better than Hill. 

Johnny English

• Administrator
  • Don Maynard
  • Effort. Technique. Violence.
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
That would be a great way to attract future FA players.  Sign them and dish them off for low draft picks before the season starts.

I didn't say we should do it, I said I would. But then I wouldn't have signed him in the first place.
A cross-dressing limey poofter

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
What?  He had a choice to come here to be a back up or go some where else as a back up.  So yeah, I understand why he chose NY.  However, given an opportunity to start versus a back up, he takes the starting gig. 

Why would he not start if he was traded to St. Louis?  Even with just a week under his belt, he is better than Hill. 

Why are still arguing about this?  It's not going to happen.

Shaun Hill is a really good backup QB.  He's familiar with the personnel and the scheme.  The Rams met with Hill during the first week of free agency.  They wanted him. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
Why are still arguing about this?  It's not going to happen.

Shaun Hill is a really good backup QB.  He's familiar with the personnel and the scheme.  The Rams met with Hill during the first week of free agency.  They wanted him.

Because it is a football forum, and I want to.  I have already said it probably isn't viable also.  Vick is better than Hill, and they were looking at Hill as a back up, and the day one starter.  So what they did prior to that point is Moot.  IMO.

Not to mention, the debate isn't whether or not it will happen or not happen or if it should or shouldn't happen. 

Heismanberg

• Global Moderator
  • Curtis Martin
  • SAUCE
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Because it is a football forum, and I want to.  I have already said it probably isn't viable also.  Vick is better than Hill, and they were looking at Hill as a back up, and the day one starter.  So what they did prior to that point is Moot.  IMO.

Everyone was looking at Michael Vick as a backup too. 

They chose to pursue Hill over any backup QB.  He's backed up injury prone QBs before and been serviceable in relief. 
He shook my hand breed tub and walked away

hawk

• Blubbering Pussy
  • Chad Pennington
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »
Everyone was looking at Michael Vick as a backup too. 

They chose to pursue Hill over any backup QB.  He's backed up injury prone QBs before and been serviceable in relief.

Probably has nothing to do with how affordable he was right?

Serviceable in relief....Yeah, I guess that is the same thing as the day 1 starter.